Monday, December 14, 2009

In Praise of Stay-at-Home Moms


I just finished reading Dr Laura Schlessinger's book "In Praise of Stay-at-home Moms" and loved it!! This may get me in trouble with some of you working moms. I realize that not all women want to be home, (although I can't see why) or circumstances make it necessary for you to work (although if you read her book you may realize there are some sacrifices worth making-even financial ones). Anyway, I give her book a thumbs up for stay-at-home moms, (SAHM) those considering being a SAHM or those who are not a SAHM but have a little guilt that you are not home with the kiddies. She even has a chapter to get your husband on board if he isn't. She talks about what being a SAHM really means and how to make it the best job for you. She discusses your responsibilities as a mom, wife, homemaker, financial advisor, and your husbands girlfriend. I have always had the desire to be a mom. That is why it was so hard when for almost 6 years of marriage we were childless, but if the wait taught me anything it would be to cherish every moment. Here are just a few short quotes that I really liked.

Speaking of your children
"...One day they can't walk, the next day they're running. On day they can't talk, the next day they won't stop. Everything they see, smell, hear and do is a new miracle-enjoy the ride, even though the house isn't perfect and your neighbor has more jewelry."
"Being responsible for children, a home, and a husband teaches you to live outside yourself, for something and someone other than yourself. Getting accolades, applause, bonuses and such is great. It's just taht the ultimate quality of your life is not in your resume but in the minds and hearts of those you mean something to because you gave of yourself to them."
"You know that there are no worries about what your kids are being taught or how they're being treated, or how they are feeling, or what they are doing, because you are there! You want to be the one to feed, hold, and love your baby. You want to be the one to experience every new synaptic brain connection that leads them to their next ability. You want to be the mother."
"The key to perspective is that what you feel is put second to your life. You can feel severely tired after a long day and gripe about the aches, pains, and pure exhaustion, or you can say to yourself, "You know, at the end of the day, it's kind of great to feel this worn out- it means I've experiences a lot today." Share the experiences as a blessing, instead of curing the aches."
"Having great luck and fortune is not the conduit to loving and enjoyable life; gratitude is!"

I am SO grateful to be a SAHM!! I am thankful that my hubby works so hard so that I can be home with our little one. This is a time I wouldn't trade for anything! (even if it means taking a few months to save up for our wants...it is worth it!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

You know I am SO with you on this Sarah! Thanks for posting this. I really want to read this book now! I wish that more women would see that being home with your children is worth the sacrifices, whatever they may be.

Missy said...

Amen Sista!

Shermilton said...

Thanks for the reminder. I hadn't been blog surfing for awhile. I love the pictures. Darling!

Shelise said...

Thanks for posting. I feel REALLY strongly about this subject. Kyle and I will do pretty much anything we have to so that I can be home with our kids. I didn't know she had this book. I am going to have to read it now.